HOLY HALLOWEEN - BOOKS TO GET YOUR SPOOK ON

“There is something at work in my soul, which I do not understand.” ― Mary Shelley, Frankenstein



It's nearly Halloween a.k.a my favourite time of year. I love the pumpkins, the cold nights, the themed foods, the costumes, basically everything about this fun-filled time of the year. I don't know why it's my favourite, it's pretty macabre, but nothing makes me happier then when I see everything become orange and ghoulish and shops start selling plastic severed body parts. I know, I'm innately weird, but I can't help it. I've always loved Halloween since I was a kid, which is strange given I was, and still am, an absolute wuss, maybe it's because I could be whatever I wanted for a day, or I just loved messing my house up with fake cobwebs and eating sweets; I don't rightly know.

In keeping with the holiday and my festive spirit I thought I would do a series of Halloween related posts, covering all things spooky, creepy, unnerving and weird so you too can bask in the best time of the year. First up, my recommendations for books to read in the lead up to the spookiest day of the year.

OLD SCHOOL SPOOKS

1. Carmilla - J.Sheridan Le Fanu
2. Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
3. The Yellow Wallpaper - Charlotte Perkins Gilman

4. Dracula - Bram Stoker
5. The Monk - Matthew Gregory Lewis
6. The Castle of Otranto - Horace Walpole

7. Uncle Silas - J.Sheridan Le Fanu
8. Gothic Tales - Elizabeth Gaskell
9. The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson

10. The Canterville Ghost - Oscar Wilde
11. The Fall of the House of Usher - Edgar Allen Poe
12. One Thousand and One Ghosts - Alexandre Dumas




MODERN SPOOKS

1. This Book is Full of Spiders - David Wong
2. I Am Legend - Richard Matheson
3. Let the Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist

4. The Bloody Chamber - Angela Carter
5. American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis
6. Horrorstör - Grady Hendrix

7. Haunted - Chuck Palahniuck
8. Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn
9. Bird Box - Josh Malerman

10. The Three - Sarah Lotz
11 Red Dragon - Thomas Harris
12. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Seth Grahame-Smith




GRAPHIC SPOOKS

1. Revival - Tim Seeley
2. The Walking Dead - Robert Kirkman
3. Locke and Key - Joe Hill

4. 30 Days of Night - Steve Niles
5. The Sandman - Neil Gaiman
6. Through the Woods - Emily Carroll

7. Black Hole - Charles Burns
8. Nailbiter - Joshua Williamson
9. Wytches - Scott Snyder

10. American Vampire - Scott Snyder
11. Clean Room - Gail Simone
12. House of Penance - Peter J. Tomasi




I hope you enjoy my recommendations for a spooky, booky Halloween! If you have any scary or creepy books you think I've missed out then please comment below or get in touch with one of my social networks below!

goodreads, twitter, instagram